Claire and Linda are in India, and it is a different world! I have been in Delhi for one day and abit and it is chaos, beauty, and complete sensory overload! We are having fun, and I have ridden in the amazing auto-rikshaws that get you where you want to go, but traffic.....as Claire says, you really can't explain it. I was thinking about it as a game, if there is a space it will be filled, with a car, rikshaw, bike, motorcycle, scooter, person...bus, truck.....yikes. But I am now an expert at taking pictures on the fly and we have had some great success. The smells of the city remind me of NYC times two. We went to temple this morning and I loved hearing claire singing her mantras/bajan. We now have the blessings of Laxmi, Ram, Hanuman, Durga, Shiva, Parvati, Ganesh, Sita, Radha and Krishna. That should cover it and keep us safe! We are wearing a tilak of sindur (like bindi) and vibuhti (the blessed ash of Shiva). And you thought you weren't going to learn anything today! Claire is a fountain of information!
We are now in the Tibetan Refugee Camp where Claire stayed last year, a maze of tiny paths and shops, and people....a whole new picture of Delhi. Later we will meet some of Claire's friends for lunch, Jagdish and OP, who she ran into at the airport when she was picking me up, at 1:00 a.m. who she knew from Premvarni Ashram. We are eating well, and I already feel less fuzzy than yesterday. On the first day,after dashing about, figuring out our travel plans, running around, we took a nap and had a lovely dinner. Delish cream of mushroom soup and Vegetable Korma, Cilantro Chutney, and mango ice cream. I am sleeping well and felt great today.
I know that most of you are in fridgid weather, sorry about that Wood, but our temp is lovely and cool. I will try to imput photos but if I cannot will try again later. I have invented a new name for sandals, they are now Slip Slops, no longer flip flops. I am on a mission to spread this idea world wide! Please alter the way you refer to your flip flops and see if I can start a movement! Much love from India. More soon! We are off to Agra to See the Taj Mahal tomorrow on the train. Claire says Hello and we are both loving laughing and talking together! All my Best! Linda

FABULOUS. Glad you arrived healthy and that you hit the ground running in your slip slops. Nothing like a bit of summery weather and some great Indian food to make life worth livin', eh?
ReplyDeleteLoving your posts....can't wait for the next one.
Big love from your friend sharing this side of the planet with you!
Do we now call waffling politicians slip sloppers? Glad you are there safely. It's clear and -10 here. If my iPhone can be trusted it's 72 degrees warmer there, even if it is the middle of your night. And how can the time be different by 12 AND A HALF hours? I just can't make that make sense. Pretty unAmerican - which is of course entirely appropriate. Enlighten me oh enlightened one!
ReplyDeleteI want to thank you for affording me the opportunity to spend the better part of yesterday with Woody & Leslie! The play was so good I felt guilty for taking your ticket! Loved the music, set & acting. It was amazing to think it was written in the later 1800s. You will have to see it somewhere - maybe in NYC. Anyway, we then went over to your house for delicious wine and conversation, and then after I took Mitch out for supper, we met at Leslie's and got to experience the incredible hot tub when it was 0 degrees out and then the lodge room afterwards. Truly the most delightful day I can remember having in a long time! So thank you, thank you for making it available to me by visiting your wonderful daughter!
ReplyDeleteI'm betting each day will be a new delight and feast for the senses! It is a different world : )
I'm behind on my homework for class, so will run for now! I've definitely got to get back in the swing of going to school and doing homework, in addition to the work-a-day!
Hugs to you both!