Thursday, January 29, 2009
India Time
Leave it to Stan to ask the question that tormented me for a long while. How can India be the only country that does not have time on the hour so to speak. It is the type of thing that would make our Dad go wild. He always enjoyed an answer to a question so here goes. Well, it is because back when they were figuring these things out, India did not want to be on two time zones, but only one. So, they split the difference. Although it seems that they are not exactly 11.5 hours different from Central Standard Time. More like an extra twenty minutes. So many times when I called Claire I would ask the time and when it was 9:00 pm in DSM it was 8:42 in Rishikesh. I would laugh and remember that Swamiji always told me when I called, "You must call India time, learn India time!" Then he would promptly hang up on me. :) So there is your answer sir. Mara, I am so glad you had a great day. The play was one that I wanted to see since the Tony's where they won an award, and add to that Wood and Les with wine, hot tub and the cozy lodge, that is a great day. Nanc, hope things are great down under. I cannot imagine how you travel as you do! And Wood, Thanks for everything. Stan, thanks for keeping tabs on Mom. I hope she is doing well. Love - Linda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dear sweet Linda. It is so wonderful to read about your adventures. Ellen thanks you for the information to help with her project. She has been sick this last week, so it is nice for her to have something fun sent from so very far away. I love that you are having a grand time. I can't wait to hear more. We have been keeping up with your postings and just have been slow to post a comment. Love to you and Claire and hope you are on the beach - laughing, reading, and resting. Love, Amy & Ellen
ReplyDeleteAustralia's central time zone is on the half hour, too.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so I'm feeling totally out of it with all this time-zone talk. I'm laughing about being told to learn India time and then being hung up on! I don't know what to make of that! Except that I would want to reply - Please put my daughter on the phone. I've never called Elle; and China, or at least Beijing, is a simple 14 hours ahead of us since we went on daylight savings time. You know me and numbers! I love a simple 14 hour difference. Of course, Elle's parents don't speak any English, so I can only imagine what they'd say if I called - ha! They'd probably say nothing and just hang up!
ReplyDelete