I thought you would enjoy the story of our day in Agra. Agra is where the Taj Mahal is so we were prepared for many touts (or those people that want to be your driver/guide/etc.) A throng met us as we got off the train, and following Claire's lead, I spoke to no one and followed her to the pre-paid taxi area, and really we were on our way pretty quickly. The taxi driver spent the entire trip to the hotel showing us testimonials from other customers from England, USA, Sweden etc... so we would say yes to him as our driver but Claire was having none of it. And for some reason most people here think we are from England, Nanc, any idea why? So our hotel was amazingly nice, with a view of a field out our window and an AMAZING hot shower. We cleaned up and then ate a bite and were off to the Taj in a tuk tuk. As we wound our way through the smallest of paths I began to wonder if we were going to the Taj, but we finally arrived at a gate and bought our tickets.
The grounds were beautiful and the first sight of the glowing Taj Mahal brought tears to our eyes. What a monument to love. so we advance with the throng of people, many dressed up for the visit, as we were. we removed our shoes and gave them to a "shoe watcher" who put them in a box and gave us a token for picking them up later. the cool marble on our feet felt great and we got into the enormous line, to wait to be in the Taj. The wait was nice, the weather just warmish, and a cool breeze, and the many people to watch. Around 45 minutes passed and it was our turn. Intricate, beautiful, with a small marble casket in the middle of the great space. We walked through the outer rooms and exited at the other side.
As we prepared to leave we decided to try a different route and went to a different gate. We asked the many touts shouting for our business to go to the main road. a smallish youth, I would guess around 11 Claire thought a bit older, got our business for 10 Rupees. (R48 = $1) So we get on the bike rickshaw and off we go, doing great until he wants to drop us off at a place where people park cars. Claire tells him we are looking for a good place to eat on the main road, and he takes us down a path where they are cooking something....under a tarp. He says, "very clean" but I would argue that point. I say no this time and he tries to half ride half push us up a small incline. Discussion with the police/security guys say that we must return the way we had come.
Now all hell breaks loose, with many other riders saying I should get on a different rickshaw as the hill was "very high" and he was too small. We were not buying the pay for two situation, and the boy pushes and pushes us up the slight incline. Finally Claire gets out of the rickshaw and begins to taunt the boy saying, " I could drive this better than you...you should get a different job!" So he continues to say that it is hard, and she insists that she can do it, and in her very pretty salwar and chupples (slip slops) she climbs on and away we go! She gets us back to where we had started, with the boy pushing a bit on the side. (I have photos but am unable to input them yet.) The looks of shock and laughter on the faces of the many drivers and onlookers, to see the white girl dressed nicely driving the rickshaw was priceless. We get off and he tries to charge us R200, but we pay him R100 and walk the rest of the way to the main road, stepping aside for the camel to pass. It was a great day and as Jeannie says, we are in it for the stories!
Now we are sunburned and enjoying the beach. I don't expect you to feel sorry for us! Life is good!
Love - Linda and Claire aka Rickshaw driver aka Chandrakalaa
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Does that Claire have an indomitable spirit or what?! I love your stories! It was actually warm here today. I don't know the temp, but everything was melting like crazy. As you can imagine, we still have plenty of snow coverage every where, but I'm always amazed to see it melt so much in one day. Just thinking of you with a sunburn makes me feel warmer! I can hardly wait to see your pictures.
ReplyDeleteSaw this t-shirt on a man in Melbourne today. Bet he's just been to India. It said: I do not require a F$^Kin Tuk tuk. I do not want a massage! Leave me the F&$K alone. Love your stories....can't wait to see the movie!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and loving that you are having such a wonderful time. The Wines family has loved you sharing your adventures. Our love to you and Claire. XXXO - Amy Lou
ReplyDeleteOk,I've created my own blog so now maybe my comments will be received! Forced into the techno world! Anything for Linda and Claire!
ReplyDeleteJust to make you feel better, it's single digits here again. I had to add water to the waterfall and it was nippy let me tell you.
I'm so glad you are having such fun! A great image of Claire taking rickshaw command. A rickshaw commando!!! I'm glad all of that meditating hasn't resulted in complacency! Still our Claire, she's got grit, 'true grit'.
Think of you two and the adventures you're having all the time. Love and Kisses