Wednesday, February 4, 2009

More Travel and Life at the Ashram

I have now realized that it is impossible to travel anywhere and take less than a full day. Two days ago we boarded a train from the beach area to Kochi from which we would fly to Delhi. We were very early, until we get a call from the travel agent that our evening flight had been cancelled. Of course we did not receive this call soon enough so that we could stay at the beach one more day. Instead we are on the train with iffy cell phone service not to mention the noise of the train making it hard to hear. We finally text that we want them to buy another ticket which means we will have to get to the airport fast from the train to make it. We book it and get there in time only to be told that the tickets had not been purchased, only held, and if we wanted to buy additional tickets that would be R10,000. So after harried calls to the travel agent ( Claire was not zen at that moment) rushing around, sweating profusely, we get the tickets, and get to security. They insist everything, including our little purses have an airline tag. Do they think we will lose our purse on the plane? So we get those attached and they really don't like my backpack...looking through every zipper pocket. I promise you the most wild thing I had was my inhaler! We finally get through, and wait for 30 minutes and fly away. On the flight I figure out that it is a direct flight which is the first good travel news I have received in India. We arrive in Delhi around 7 instead of 1 a.m. so life is good.

We get to our hotel, the Hotel Bright, which is anything but. However, we had stayed here before and the people were very nice. Plus we get breakfast included delivered to your room. Claire had a cold when we arrived and by morning she if feeling like she has the flu. I still cannot believe that I am feeling great this entire trip, other than being tired! I went armed with two antibiotics, steroids, shots, over the counter cure alls and enough band aids to take care of a kindergarten class for a year. I am the lucky one in this. Not to be believed. So we find out we cannot stay another night in the Bright as it is booked, so Claire rallies and says lets do it. We board a bus for Rishikesh not realizing that it is a Local bus, and stops OFTEN! It is the day version of the Harry Potter night bus, with Claire and I being lifted off the seat many times as we bumped along. Our driver also loved the horn. Here they honk and go, or honk for a loooonnng time as they play chicken with another bus or truck, pulling back into their lane at the LAST possible moment. But we happily arrived in Rishikesh and after walking over the bridge and down the lane, up the steps and through Swarg Ashram, dragging our luggage, we are at our hotel. It's big benefit is a balcony looking out onto the Ganga (Holy river) AND that it costs $8 a night! However, you must bring your own toliet paper! Who knew? We ate a good dinner and slept well and went to the ahsram in the morning.

Premvarni Ashram is a very peaceful place up a big foothill of the Himalyas. It feels a bit like being in Colorado, climbing up, and arriving at an oasis. We had a relaxing day and I enjoyed seeing where Claire has spent so much time. She clearly is a large part of keeping the ashram running and they were all thrilled to see her. Well, I guess Swamiji did not show he was thrilled, but he was clearly trying to win me over. He provided a learning moment about buddha, after Claire (Kalaa) brought him back a buddha statue from Kerala. Very interesting. I also got to learn tips from his afternoon bath. Outside I might add, but an eye "cleaning" that was interesting and new to me. Apparently it helps your eyesight, IF you practice it over and over, which he clearly does. It is also supposed to be good for wrinkles and looking youthful, and I must admit Swamiji does not look 76. I will provide a demonstration to all who want it! Swamiji also made us lunch and tea, both of which were very good. I am back in Swargashram (across the river from Rishikesh) and have taken photos of cows, monkeys and so much more. I still cannot figure out how to download the photos, my mac makes it so easy for me. It is very beautiful here and I even had my first ever sugar cane juice! Delish! So I will try again tomorrow with the photos. I am off to have some dinner. Try to stay warm over there!

Thanks for your comments! I love reading them. You are right Lessie, Claire remains our Claire, with some goddesses within that arm her whenever needed. I saw her do a "spreak eagle" with her arms when these children were invading her space and they sort of jumped back in awe. A handy tool in India!
Love - Linda and Kalaa (Claire)

2 comments:

  1. From your description, it sounds like you aren't in Colorado any more (or Kansas, or even Iowa). Enjoy the ashram and evirons. I await the photos, but you've created some nice prose photos with your blog entries. The photos will just be icing on an unusual and memorable cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, you are super at painting a picture with words! I think Elle is having some travel similar to what you are experiencing as they trek all over Yunnan province. For me it was just the crush, literally, of humanity on every bus and subway. Personal space being non-existent on all public transportation. You are really covering your home away from home! How great that you are feeling spectacular! I think about you three girls all being in Southeast Asia and India and how you're really pretty close to each other - well, relatively speaking! I definitely want to see the eye washing routine!

    ReplyDelete